By Josslyn Streett, Reiki Master/Teacher for Rain Shadow Reiki
I often tell my new students if they want to truly see and feel the effects of Reiki quickly, to work on their pets, or anyones pets. Animals respond very quickly and often quite predictably with Reiki. I have found this very much with dogs, whom I work with the most. They will often sniff your hand to investigate the Reiki, then they will settle down somewhere near by and comfortable to them, even on your lap, and quickly doze into a Reiki nap. I have often witnessed that they get so deeply in their Reiki trance that if I talk, cough or breath loudly and/or move,they will quickly jolt awake and look at me annoyed. Oops, I bothered their Reiki nap. They get back quickly to it and are snoring away again. Then they wake up when they’ve had enough and come lick you or they look at your very pointedly to say “Thank you for the Reiki!” I’ve heard other students describe the same situation with their dogs and even cats when they do Reiki on them. It is obvious they are soaking up the Reiki. Even new Reiki students can often feel the Reiki being pulled from their outstretched hands towards their pet. It is an awesome feeling and quite reassuring that the Reiki is doing its thing. This is the kind of confirmation people are looking for when they are new to Reiki and are still working at FEELING the Reiki energy flow. It takes practice and more practice before your hand chakras get sensitive to the energy and you start to feel it regularly. Practicing on your pets is a great way to get this confirmation early on in your practice.
Practicing with Pets
- Sit in the same room with the pet you’ll be working on, where they are most comfortable.
- Perform your Gassho (prayer position). During your Gassho let Divine know that the pet can take as much or as little or none of the Reiki energy and that it is totally up to them. They have free will as to whether or not they want Reiki. Yes, some do turn it down, and that is just fine. Try again another time. When they know you respect their wishes they are much more likely to let you another time.
- Put up your hands and run the Reiki across the space between you and your pet. If it is a new animal to you, a small pet, or a small pet in a cage, stay across the room and run it to them from there.
- Give the pet time to get used to the energy and decide if they want it or not. Given the choice, they usually do.
- Allow them to pull the energy, never push an animal to take Reiki. You will feel the energy being pulled from your hands and after a few minutes start to build.
- When you get a message from the pet that the Reiki session is over (they get up and leave, they say thank you to you, they wake up and start to play again, the energy stops pulling) or if you have to leave, thank them for the opportunity to give them Reiki and close with your Gassho.
Every animal is different but every one of them is a gift to practice Reiki on. You’ve got nothing to lose by practicing on your pet. Give it a try. Let me know how it goes.
Comment here if you have any questions, I love to hear from you,
Josslyn Streett, Rain Shadow Reiki
email@example.com or 360-460-7829
Much of my style for working with animals and Reiki comes from “Animal Reiki” by Elizabeth Fulton and Kathleen Prasad. Their technique is very kind and gentle for all animals and extremely heart centered. A fabulous book if you do not have it in your library I highly recommend it. I have it available in the Rain Shadow Reiki lending library if you are close and would like to check it out.
2 thoughts on “Practice Reiki On Your Pets”
That is an awesome blog, Joss.
Thanks April! So nice to hear from you. I’m glad you liked it. Are you ready for a Reiki I class so you can work on your pets? I’m wanting to get to CA. Give me a reason! I’d so love to teach you Reiki after all these years. Miss you lots.