By Josslyn Streett, Reiki Master/Teacher for Rain Shadow Reiki
Are You Getting Dumped On?
Times are tough. The economy is down. Jobs are hard to find and get. People are busy with holiday shopping. People are stressed. That means that those of us who are sensitive, empathetic and compassionate are probably experiencing a lot of ups and downs as well, and some of them NOT EVEN OUR OWN!!
The Energy of Stress
When people are stressed, knowing it or not, they feel the tremendous need to rid themselves of that stressful energy. Stress is energy too. One way people dump on others is by finding a compassionate friend or stranger, like YOU, and dumping their energy with you. You probably know what this feels and looks like. A friend comes over or you run into them somewhere around town ‘unexpectedly’. They talk and talk and talk about their problems. They say good-bye and leave. Suddenly YOU feel horrible, irritable, even angry. They dumped their stressed energy on to YOU! It’s that easy. It quite often is not even someone you know, but maybe the person next to you in line at the post office or drug store.
It Can Happen Anytime, Anywhere
You don’t have to even know the person to have this happen. If you are an overly compassionate person (Yes, I said OVERLY) then it makes you a target. These ‘dumpers’ intuitively know how and who to dump their energy with.
It used to be like a mine field for me to go out in public because I was unaware of this happening. I’d go to the grocery store in a perfectly good mood, humming going about my business. Then I’d wait in line next to someone I didn’t even know. They would unconsciously dump their bad energy mood with me. I’d take it in because I was so compassionate of a person, I wanted to HELP THEM. Right!? How many of you are HELPERS out there? Yep, a lot of us. By the time I’d walk to my car I’d be depressed, angry and ready to tear into someone. I’d wonder, “Wow, where did this bad mood come from? I felt fine when I went in to the store.”
Time to Change the Program
This process could not happen at all if we did not allow it to. Yes, that is right, I said WE are allowing it by being HELPFUL and OVERLY compassionate towards others. As energetic beings it is not helping us or them for us to take this on. But we do it because of our own personal and social programming. Time to change our programming. We are not helping others or ourselves by taking on their crap. Period. This is what we call, a lose/lose situation. I will explain how to create a win/win situation for everyone involved.
How you may ask, do we do this? (I love the HOW! I’m all about the HOW!)
There are many ways to do this, but for a QUICK REIKI fix, here is what I do. You can do this anywhere, anytime as often as you need to. (O.k, NOT While driving, obviously, do not do this while operating any type of vehicle.)
In the beginning you may need to do this multiple times a day especially in stressful situations where you will be around a lot of people or in work situations where you help people, such as; therapists, healers, message therapists, etc. The more helpful you are, the more sensitive you are to picking up other’s emotions, you’ll need to do this more in the beginning and at least once a day after that. Whenever I’m going to be in a crowd of people I do this again, even if I did it in the morning before I left the house. I do this before I leave the house or in the car before I get out, PARKED OF COURSE!. In the winter time up here in the Pacific North West it’s cold. So, while my car is warming up, I do this visualization to get me started and warmed up too. Give it a try, it becomes easier the more you do it.
- Call on Divine first to surround yourself with Love and Light. With Reiki you’d do this during your Gassho.
- Visualize this Love and Light as a beautiful protective and loving color. I imagine the Reiki energy flowing from my body and surrounding me with Reiki colored Love. Any color you love will work. White is often recommended but I find white can often times be too powerful or more than you need for every day use. I usually like a soft off-white, pretty pink, yellow or blue to surround myself with. I love color! You can get creative and think of this color as an invisibility cloak or some other creative covering that works for you. Opal works great for this too. Surrounding yourself with stones. Have fun with visualizations. Make them your own, personal to you. Trust YOUR intuition as to what color you need that day.
- Ground yourself to the Earth. There are infinite ways to do this; be the tree growing into the earth, a cord with an anchor, a beam of light, etc. Lately I’ve been connecting to the rocks, crystals and lava within the earth to help me be one with our Earth and therefore grounded and flexible. (The more intention, the more visualization you put into this the more powerful the connection will be.)
- Create a place to send the energy that you do not want. Creating the intention of a recycling source for the energy that others send to you and for any energy of your own that you want to be recycled will help you to NOT take on the energy into your personal field. We do not need to be ‘weighed down’ with other’s energies, do we?! (Good visualizations for this could be a shower drain, toilet, mushrooms, hole to the earth, crystal cave, trash can maybe with Oscar the Grouch, or any other plant or physical manifestation of something that will take the energy away to the earth to be healed. The intention of the energy being healed is important.)
- Reaffirm the THREE parts to this whenever you meet up with someone who is trying to dump on you. (Receive them with love and remember they are not consciously doing this, they just need relief. Divine, Ground and recycle and their energy gets healed, your energy doesn’t take on crap you don’t need and every one is happy. They feel better, you still feel good and you have helped them without taking on their stuff. WIN/WIN. I do this every time I leave the house and then reaffirm the shower drain or the mushrooms all around my feet, kind of like a moat of cleansing and recycling all around me as needed.)
- Last and very important is to REFILL yourself and others with beautiful Love and Light of the Divine after the ‘old’ energy has gone. This will help you to feel lighter, happier and more confident the more you do it. With this you can imagine a Divine ball of Love and Light or Reiki above the other person’s head flowing into their crown and all through their body filling them up. Again, be creative and intuitive and do what feels right for you or them.
Mushrooms work as a great visualization for recycling energy, from other people or from yourself. Imagine these beautiful red mushrooms surrounding you all around your feet at the bottom of your aura, inside and out. All energy that is no longer helping us needs healing for whatever reason you choose. Imagine it flowing down to the mushrooms. They will, along with Mother Earth, cleanse, heal and return the energy completely recycled. Again, you can do this for yourself or others. When people are ‘dumping’ their problems on you by complaining, wining or arguing, you can imagine the energy flowing down to the mushrooms instead of at you. Try it, it works.
Give this a try. If you are sensitive to energy like me or tend to be a ‘helper’ or healer you will need this energy work daily. I tell my clients, we take our trash out daily, why not our ‘trashy’ energy too!!
Feel free to contact me for help on learning how to take out the trash regularly and clearing any blockages you may have to following through with this technique. I love to mentor new Light-workers!!
Love and Light to you,