Just a reminder, I am not a doctor and I am not trying to be. This is a treatment I learned from my doctor and I am passing it along to you hoping it will help. Please consult with your doctor if you are sick. If you do not have a doctor then please check out a local Naturopath, a doctor who uses natural medicines and treatments to help you get well. They treat the mind, body and spirit.
Effective Warming Sock Treatment for Colds and Migraines
by Josslyn Streett of Rain Shadow Reiki
It’s almost spring but here in the Pacific North West that can still mean cloudy and cold. Many people here are still struggling with colds and flues. And people who suffer from migraine headaches, like me, know that they can hit at any time of the year.
I was going to hold this post for a couple of days since I literally just did a post yesterday. Then my dear friend called and shc can’t come over today because her daughter has a fever. I said “Have you heard of the hot sock treatment?” and she said “Yes, you mentioned it and that’s why I’m calling.” I said “That’s it, I’m posting it TODAY!” So, here it is, I now swear by it for helping the body heal itself.
Tip from MY Doctor
My Naturopath, Dr. Ruth Urand in Poulsbo, WA gave me this Warming Sock Treatment and it has been a lifesaver for me. I call it the Hot Sock Treatment, others call it the Wet Sock Treatment and some the Warming Sock Treatment, but it is really your feet that are hot so whatever you call it doesn’t really matter, as long as you USE IT!
Sensitive People Get More Viruses
Many people who are highly sensitive, like myself, will be prone to getting viruses and often. I have found this to be the case. My kids get something for a day or two and I’m laid up for a week. This year, using the hot sock treatment (which I was quite cynical of at first) I got sick in October and it hung on but once I remembered about this treatment and actually started using it every night, I didn’t get sick again until January. In January my kids got sick with the difficult virus that was going around and it hung on for them and I only got a sore throat. The only difference this time was that I was using the sock treatment from day one of the kids being sick. The trick is to start right away as soon as symptoms are there. A tiny sore throat, don’t wait. Sock treatment right away that night and keep it up until everyone in the house is healthy.
Anytime, Anywhere, Anyone, Any Budget
What I like most about the hot sock treatment is that anyone can afford it, unlike many medications. AND you can do it anywhere as long as you bring your socks along. If you are traveling, always bring your socks and you’ll be ready. Plus, anyone can do the hot sock treatment, kids, adults, pregnant women, it is safe as long as you warm your feet first. If you are pregnant, please consult your doctor first. That way I don’t get in trouble for giving you this advice.
Here is HOW you do it:
WHEN to do it: If you have any of the following symptoms do the hot sock treatment:
- Sore throat
- Inflammation or infection of the throat
- Neck pain
- Ear infection
- Headaches, Migraines
- Nasal congestion
- upper respiratory infections
- Sinus infections
Effects of the Warming Sock Treatment: This treatment acts to reflexively increase the circulation and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head and throat. It has a sedating action and many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment. This treatment is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 pair of white 100% cotton socks
- 1 pair of thick 100% wool socks (pure wool, don’t get a blend)
- Dry towel
- Warm bath or warm foot bath
- Warm your feet FIRST. This is very important as the treatment will not be as effective and could be harmful if your feet are not warmed first. Warming can be accomplished by 1. soaking your feet in warm water (I do warm to hot, it feels good) for at least 10 minutes or 2. taking a warm bath for 10 minutes OR by 3. wearing wool socks several hours before you go to bed and do the sock treatment. The key is to have your feet nice and warm before hand.
- Take a pair of cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water, as cold as you can get it.
- Be sure to wring out the socks thoroughly so they do not drip.
- Dry off your feet and body with a dry towel.
- Place the cold wet socks on your feet.
- Cover your feet and the cold wet socks with the dry wool socks.
- Go directly to bed and AVOID getting chilled.
- Keep both pairs of socks on overnight. You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning.
That is it. Quite easy. Warm feet, cold wet cotton, warm dry wool and go to bed! I pray this helps many people feel better more often and save time by NOT getting sick. It certainly has for me. I am a believer now.
In Love and Light of the Divine,
from me to you with Love,
Josslyn Streett, Reiki Master/Teacher at Rain Shadow Reiki