By Josslyn Streett, Reiki Master/Teacher for Rain Shadow Reiki in Sequim, WA
This past seven months have been quite a healing journey for me and Reiki was with me the whole way. My husband and 16-year-old son died in a car crash on July 20, 2017. My younger son, Sawyer and I were in the hospital for almost two weeks for him and me for 32 days. My Reiki friends were with me giving me Reiki every day in the hospital as well as employees of the hospital who came around to patients offering massage and Reiki.
In the hospital I couldn’t see my future through the grief and the trauma. Being very intuitive, I usually ‘see’ or ‘know’ what step is next, what’s coming and what I need to do to prepare for my path. (Reminder-Psychics don’t know everything, just what their guides show them and what they are supposed to know to help their purpose.) But, by the crash, my path was wiped clean. The only thing I SAW, the only thing I KNEW, the only thing I FELT strongly, was that I would teach Reiki again and as soon as I was able.
I told my friend and fellow Reiki Master/Teacher Ellen Hammer, in the hospital, that I would start teaching Reiki in January.
Most people thought I was delusional. I had extensive injuries to my organs, bones and brain. They didn’t know if I’d be able to talk or have cognitive thought because of my brain injuries; until three days after the crash I woke up and started talking. Then after surgery on my collapsed lung I had a stroke and couldn’t speak, again, it had effected my speech center. But, my speech came back and with weekly speech and cognitive therapy it’s gotten better and better. Only those closest to me can tell the difference.
There were definitely times I felt I would not make my goal and doubts crept up. But, in the end, the Universe and a whole lot of Reiki friends supported me and my body supported me as well. This past weekend, only one month off from my goal, I taught my FIRST Reiki class. It was a totally new beginning for me and my beginning Reiki students. My beginning students were all people who have supported me in the last seven months in an extraordinary way or related to those people. This is my THANK YOU to them.
The class was full of a lot of firsts and I’ll talk about those, but most importantly, it was filled with a lot of Reiki LOVE, Divine LOVE and friend/caregiver LOVE and it showed. This was a very special class from beginning to end and I’m filled with GRATITUDE !!
- The first, first is, it snowed. It was the first class I had where it snowed. It was so beautiful, but, three people didn’t get to make it to class because of the snow. But I always say, “All in Divine Time.” Reiki, most importantly, cannot be rushed.
- My dog Mandy and my cat Cosmo have been staples in my Reiki classes for years, but I haven’t had other pets before. For this class, my friends dog was invited by me to attend because I love him so much, I wanted him there and he didn’t have a caregiver for the weekend. He was such a natural Reiki Dog, my dog loved him, he laid in people’s laps who needed healing & support and he distracted only at the perfect times with his total cuteness.
- When I was teaching the part of Reiki history, our three founders, Usui Sensei, Dr. Hayashi and Mrs. Takata ALL showed up, stood behind me with their hands on my shoulders. It was the first time all three had showed up together and made themselves known to me during class in such a big and obvious way. They filled me with gratitude, overflowed me with LOVE and let me know they approved of me continuing to teach Reiki and gave me their blessing. It was needless to say, incredibly and positively overwhelming and exciting to all of us.
- If that wasn’t enough awesome, my husband, Robert, who was/is also a Reiki Master/Teacher and my son who was/is a Reiki I, also showed up from Heaven and helped guide our students during the practice healing sessions. When we were in the practice sessions, I was in one room with adorable ‘Oscar the amazing Reiki dog’, his mom Shenna and our student Anna, Robert was in the practice room which Amber was overseeing and Robby was helping in the room Ellen was overseeing and the room that Robby’s girlfriend was in, practicing Reiki for the first time. Many of us were made aware of them being there and helping to teach our students. When we all got together to share our experiences it came out that many people had been aware of them being here. We were all blessed and very excited by their help, guidance and support.
- This was my first time teaching in team with Ellen and Amber. Because I’m still cocooned by my guides for healing purposes, I’m not running much energy and not doing attunements. Ellen and Amber have dedicated themselves to teach with me as long as I need them and again, I’m eternally grateful for their support.
- The last first was; in every practice session we had one or more sets of what I can ‘phantom hands’ when the Reiki Guides have their hands on the student client and they can actually feel their hands. We usually get this at Reiki circles and sometimes at class, but to have four or five sets of phantom hands in one class, that’s exciting. Everyone had excellent confirmation that they were in face DOING and RECEIVING REIKI!!
NOT a first, but, of course, all my students were amazing, natural energy healers, ethical and full of Divine Love and Guidance the whole weekend. I’m so proud of them.
Please give me your help and prayers in sending them love for a strong beginning to their Reiki path. Sean, Anna, Carol, Shenna, Hannah, & Leslie a BIG HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Josslyn, Ellen and Amber